Job Responsibilities : General Accountant
Salary : $49000 Per Year
Company : The Housing Authority of the City of Fort Myers
Location : 4224 Renaissance Preserve Way, Fort Myers, FL 33916 US
Educational requirements : Bachelor Degree
Click Here : Apply Now
Class Code: E
Status: Exempt- Full-time
Under general supervision of the Director of Finance or designee provides financial information to management by research and analyzing accounting data and preparing reports. Processes the day-to-day project-based accounting activity for public housing and affiliates mixed income communities and Tax Credit Deals for the Housing Authority of the City of Ft. Myers
Supervision of other Authority employees is not a characteristic of this class.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
This section serves to illustrate the more typical aspects of the work indicative of the classification. The primary functions of the classification are not to be considered a detailed description of every duty of each position allocated to the classification. The responsibilities and essential duties typically performed by positions allocated to this classification on a frequent and recurring basis include:
- Prepares asset liability and capital account entries by compiling and analyzing account information.
- Documents financial transactions by entering account information.
- Recommends financial actions by analyzing accounting options.
- Summarizes current financial status by collecting information preparing balance sheet profit and loss statement and other reports.
- Enters budgets and monitors lines.
- Substantiates financial transactions by auditing documents.
- Maintains accounting controls by preparing and recommending policies and procedures.
- Guides staff by coordinating activities and answering questions.
- Reconciles financial discrepancies by collecting and analyzing account information.
- Reconciles grant activity and updates budget to actual documents and prepares documentation for reimbursement and/or close out.
- Secures financial information by uploading documents to Document Management.
- Maintains financial security by following internal controls.
- Prepares and enters accounts payable and other payments by verifying documentation and requesting disbursements.
- Provides all necessary documentation for the creation of the 990 tax return
- Answers accounting procedure questions by researching and interpreting accounting policy and regulations.
- Complies with federal state and local financial legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation enforcing adherence to requirements and advising management on needed actions.
- Prepares special financial reports by collecting analyzing and summarizing account information and trends.
- Maintains customer confidence and protects operations by keeping financial information confidential.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Accomplishes the result by performing the duty.
- Assists Director of Finance during the audit.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing all task and goals.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Competencies:
Must have a bachelors degree in Accounting. Three (3) years of progressive experience in Accounting with Project Based Accounting or Real Estate Accounting Particularly Low-Income Housing Tax Credits. Must be able to work in MS Office environment and bookkeeping software. Knowledge of Property Accounting or LIHTC tax credit accounting preferred. Attention to detail and good interpersonal skills and written communication skills.
Work Schedule and Additional Information:
- Full-time employment
- Work hours are 7:00 am 6:00 pm Monday Thursday with 60- minute lunch
Terms of Employment:
This is an At-Will employment position.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
Must be able to meet the physical requirements of the classification and have mobility balance coordination vision hearing and dexterity levels appropriate to the functions performed; must have ability to have prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer and the ability to lift up to 15 pounds at times. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work is performed primarily in an office environment with frequently use of standard office equipment including personal computers printer facsimile machine copier telephone and related equipment.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
It is the policy of the Housing Authority of the City of Fort Myers to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race color religion sex sexual orientation gender identity or expression age disability marital status citizenship national origin genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. HACFM prohibits any such discrimination or harassment.
The statements contained herein describe the scope of responsibility and essential functions of this position but should not be considered to be an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned. Nothing in this job description restricts HACFMs right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time unless restricted by law.