Job Responsibilities : Human Resources Associate
Salary : n
Company : City of Rockville
Location : Rockville, MD US
Click Here : Apply Now
This position is responsible for performing intermediate paraprofessional and administrative work in support of one or more core human resources programs for the City. Core human resources programs include the following: classification and compensation recruitment and staffing benefits training and performance management and labor/employee relations. The employee in this class works proactively with contacts within and outside the department and City to explain specialized aspects of the processes associated with human resources programs. There may be occasional contact with high-level officials. The work is carried out within established standardized processes and procedures with supervisory review of results. The employee provides paraprofessional support to others to facilitate human resources actions and services.
Essential Job Functions
Employment Staffing and Employee Recognition Programs:
Maintains electronic personnel records of City employees; processes a variety of personnel actions initiated in the Office of Human Resources or generated by City departments (e.g. new hires within-grade-appointments promotions resignations etc.); ensures that all personnel actions are recorded and processed in an accurate and timely manner; transmits compensation and pay actions to the Payroll Office as appropriate.
- Provides assistance in the conduct of selected routine recruitment. Following clearly defined guidelines and procedures places job postings evaluates applicants against well-defined minimum qualifications; serves on interview panels; proctors standardized examinations; constructs eligible lists; checks references and coordinates background checks.
- Assists with new employee orientation; assembles orientation materials attends orientation and assists new employees in filling out forms collects completed forms and establishes employee personnel files and inputs data and/or transmits forms and other data for further processing as necessary.
- Prepares routine and one-of-a-kind correspondence on a variety of personnel issues.
- As directed assists with verification processing and recording of documentation and actions related to the employee recognition programs (e.g. High Performance Organization awards program length of service recognition).
- As assigned queries automated records system obtains and organizes data and prepares reports summarizing results and findings.
- Responds to inquiries from employees and retirees concerning standard basic benefits information and services.
- Provides standard forms and assists in processing actions related to the City’s benefits and services program (i.e. Dental Health Care COBRA Retirement Retirement Planning Pension Life Insurance EAP On and Off the Job Injury and Illness Family and Medical Leave etc.).
- Assists with the dissemination collection and/or recording of documentation related to specific benefit events such as open enrollment.
- Provides assistance to employees and retirees in accessing and navigating ‘on-line’ self-serve business transaction processes.
Performance Learning and Development:
- Provides administrative and technical support to the City’s automated performance and evaluation system.
- Provides guidance to managers and supervisors regarding the PPA process and system e.g. deadlines for submissions how to navigate through the system etc.
- Monitors timely submission of departmental performance plans; initiates notifications and reminders as necessary; and accesses performance-related data to develop reports and data summaries.
- Assists in the compilation of training materials; set-up of classrooms; and monitoring of training sessions.
Classification & Compensation:
- Assists in the collection formatting and recording of data related to the City’s classification and compensation functions.
- Assists in the collection and review of salary survey information; conducts limited analysis of compensation data.
- As directed maintains the class plans list and updates specialized information in class specifications.
- Responds to routine inquiries regarding grievance procedures and processes in areas that are well-defined in Union contracts Personnel Policies and Procedures and other administrative procedures.
- As directed participates in the collection documentation and/or distribution of information related to adverse actions and grievances; records and transmits documentation in a timely manner.
Health and Wellness
- Assists with wellness events as necessary e.g. health fair flu shots etc.
- Provides administrative and technical support to the wellness program’s health risk assessment and tracking system.
Safety and Risk Management
- Provides support in responding to internal and external inquiries regarding injury damages or loss involving City property assets or activities and aids in creating a First Report of Loss for submission.
- Provides support in maintaining City drug and background test administration
Associate’s degree; and two (2) years of progressively responsible administrative work in human resources; or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
As a condition of employment all new hires including part-time temporary and seasonal employees reporting to the worksite as well as working remotely are required to have received at least the first dose of the Moderna or Pfizer vaccine or the single dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine prior to their start date. New hires will be required to receive any additional doses (including the booster shot) of the COVID-19 vaccine in a manner and schedule consistent with the current CDC guidelines. Weekly COVID-19 testing will be required until fully vaccinated.*
New hires except individuals who have worked for the City any time after October 8 2021 may submit a request for a religious or medical accommodation (exemption). All requests will be reviewed and evaluated on a case-by-case basis. New hires will be required to submit weekly COVID-19 test results if they are approved for a medical or religious accommodation (exemption).
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of human resources practices and processes in one or more human resources specializations.
- Knowledge of (or ability to rapidly acquire knowledge of) the City’s regulations and requirements particularly those governing the human resources specialization(s) to which assigned.
- Knowledge of automated data management systems and/or web-based business transaction systems particularly those related to human resources functional areas.
- Ability to assemble data and reports using available electronic and data management tools.
- Ability to handle confidential information with discretion.
- Ability to interpret and explain processes and procedures appropriate to one or more human resources specializations.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external customers and to communicate clearly and effectively in a variety of mediums to various audiences.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $58713.00 – $96876.00 per year