Job Responsibilities : Academic Advisor
Salary : n
Company : Wichita State University
Location : Manhattan, KS 66506 US
Educational requirements : High School
Click Here : Apply Now
Regular Work Hours
8 hrs/day between 8am-7pm Monday-Friday. Weekend or Evening hours as needed to meet position requirements and responsibilities
Wichita State University has a long tradition of innovation and entrepreneurship that spurs the economy and serves the needs of the local community. This is the place where anything is possible. Where collaboration and innovative ideas shape the future and entrepreneurship is in our bones. If you have the creativity passion and insight to help us build a brighter future for our city state and world—this is the place where you belong.
Position Specific Responsibilities
The WSU satellite Traditional Bachelor of Science in Nursing Program at Kansas State University in Manhattan Kansas is seeking an engaging individual to support our student population and ensure they meet their educational goals. This individual will serve as a resource person to faculty and others at the K-State satellite location with regard to academic advising policies and procedures assist in the development of and participate in recruitment and retention activities and conduct seminars workshops or orientation sessions for students on academic career and personal success strategies.
Summary of Responsibilities
Advises students concerning their academic plans progress and academic and career goals in order to assist students in making personal education decisions and meeting graduation requirements. Interprets student needs and provides individualized service and assistance while maintaining confidentiality.
Provides a thorough analysis of academic history to ensure future course plans are most efficient time and financial use of students’ credit hours. Maintains confidential student records and personal information. Refers students to appropriate campus and community services and resources when needed.
Advises students for competitive entry programs with multiple application timelines minimum requirements and individual processes.
Serves as a resource person to faculty and others with regard to all academic policies and procedures. May review and optimize procedures as needed.
Assists in the development of and participates in recruitment and retention activities related to the student population such as monitoring educational progress coordinating outbound communication to current and prospective students hosting events providing application or other assistance.
May conduct or participate in seminars workshops or orientation sessions for students on academic career and personal success strategies and other group activities.
May perform athletic verifications degree audit coordination transfer evaluation process and application review process for undergraduate programs.
May serve as student organization advisor program coordinator college event planner and high school outreach.
Wichita State University is committed to inclusive excellence. WSU is the only urban-serving public university in Kansas and has the most diverse student body of all the Kansas state universities. Wichita State University recruits employs trains compensates and promotes regardless of age ancestry color disability ethnicity gender gender expression gender identity genetic information marital status national origin parental status political affiliation pregnancy race religion sex sexual orientation or status as a veteran. Wichita State University has a clear goal in this regard: to be the place where our talented faculty and staff reflect and promote the evolving diversity of our society. We pride ourselves on being the most innovative university in Kansas delivering the best educational experience to our students with the distinction for opening pathways to real-life learning applied research and career opportunities that make people want to stay in Kansas. Our campus provides an experience that promotes all forms of diversity equity and inclusion a place to learn work live and play.
Bachelor’s degree in related field by hire date
One (1) year of experience in student services or related field. Every 15 hours of graduate college coursework beyond a bachelor’s degree can be substituted for one (1) year of experience.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Outstanding written/oral communications skills along with critical thinking ability to interpret and respond appropriately to diverse groups of people in various situations
- High level of service orientation with outstanding customer service skills and attitude; responsive to customer needs with ability to provide prompt courteous accurate information
- Ability to interpret University academic requirements/policies and implement them in a way that maintains the integrity of the University’s degree programs
- Ability to build and sustain effective professional relationships with a diverse constituency of faculty staff and students
- Excellent computer skills including thorough knowledge of Windows Microsoft Office database systems and other computer programs
- Knowledge of FERPA rules for the release of student information to faculty parents students etc.
Licenses Certificates and Registrations
User Export Compliance
No export control requirement.
This position is located in Manhattan Kansas
102425-K-State Nursing Partnership
Range begins at $34300 and is commensurate with education and experience
Eligible for Shift Differential?
Wichita State University and the State of Kansas offer a variety of benefit programs which are designed to enhance employment. Many of these benefits are available immediately and some with a wait period.
- Comprehensive health dental vision and supplemental coverage offerings
- Retirement plan with generous employer contributions
- Basic employer-paid life insurance and optional life insurance
- Employee and Dependent Tuition Assistance Program
- Generous time off accruals
- Full time 12-month employees typically accrue 22 vacation days and 12 days of sick leave per year in addition to 8 annual paid holidays designated by the State of Kansas.
- Additional holidays and/or a discretionary day can be granted by the governor each year.
- Part-time employee accruals are on a pro-rated basis.
- Paid Parental Leave
- State Shared Leave Program
- Employee Assistance Program
- Discounts on campus and throughout Wichita through ShockerStart
You can find more information on benefits in the
New/Prospective Employee Benefits Guide.
Ability to remain in a stationary position. – Frequent 60-90%
Ability to communicate with others and accurately exchange information. – Frequent 60-90%
Ability to operate a computer and other office equipment including but not limited to phone printers copiers and calculators. – Frequent 60-90%
Physical Weight Category
Sedentary: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift carry push pull or otherwise move objects. Sedentary work involves remaining stationary most of the time.
Additional Physical Demands
Atypical Physical Job Requirements