Job Responsibilities : Librarian
Salary : n
Company : Santa Barbara Historical Museum
Location : Santa Barbara, CA 93101 US
Information about the organization
The Santa Barbara Historical Museum has emerged as an essential landmark for the preservation and celebration of Santa Barbara’s regional history. As one of the oldest cultural institutions in Santa Barbara SBHM is home to the vast archival collection of documents and artifacts within our Gledhill Library and collections vault. Our 10000-volume library collects and makes available the essential published history of Santa Barbara County.
Information about the role
This position is located in the Gledhill Library the research center for the Santa Barbara Historical Museum. The Gledhill holds published materials in a wide variety of formats and provides general reference and research services to a wide variety of users including Museum staff scholars educators and the general public.
The primary purpose of the Librarian position is to provide bibliographic cataloging services and to improve the accessibility of published works for both staff and researchers. The Librarian investigates and analyzes resources to perform a variety of duties related to bibliographic access (cataloging) as well as one or more library functional areas such as acquisition collection development shelf organization and digital access. The Librarian reports to the Head Archivist with the position located in the Gledhill Library of the Santa Barbara Historical Museum in downtown Santa Barbara California.
This is a part-time donated position paid with the Museum’s private funds. The compensation is $29.50 per hour.
Duties and Responsibilities for the role
- Performs original and copy cataloging including descriptive cataloging subject cataloging classification assignment and shelf listing for published materials in a variety of formats including books serials electronic resources online resources audio and video recordings and microforms.
- Applies current national and institutional library cataloging rules standards and practices and utilizes the full range of cataloging tools to make comprehensive cataloging information available to libraries and library users nationwide.
- Applies national library cataloging and metadata standards including MARC 21 AACR2 LCSH Dublin Core MODS and other metadata schemas as appropriate.
- Under supervision of the Head Archivist performs authority control and maintenance on metadata records associated with published materials.
- Reviews existing cataloging work for accuracy and completeness and implements updates as needed.
- Resolves and reports cataloging problems in consultation with the Head Archivist as needed. Maintains currency with national cataloging standards and with innovations in the functionality of cataloging systems.
- Reports cataloger statistics to the Head Archivist.
- Evaluates resources and makes informed recommendations to the Head Archivist regarding purchase and/or suitability of material.
- Organize and prepare deaccessioned books for sale.
- Implement manage and fulfill online sales of deaccessioned books.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Interested applicants must send their resume and cover letter; applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
Minimum Qualifications for the role
- Master’s degree in Library Science from an American Library Association (ALA)-accredited program.
- At least three years of experience with cataloging authority control and e-resource management.
- Demonstrated knowledge of cataloging rules and metadata standards using AACR2 and MARC 21 and relevant practical experience with non-MARC metadata in a library environment.
- Knowledge of current bibliographic standards and models such as RDA LCSH and catalog management procedures/techniques.
- Working knowledge of OCLC cataloging utilities and modern integrated library system applications.
- General knowledge of California history and the Western United States.
- Strong organizational skills demonstrated by the ability to plan and execute multiple tasks and projects independently.
- Demonstrated ability to use independent judgment and discretion.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to embrace and implement new technologies and innovative organizational practices.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a diverse range of people in various circumstances.
- Time management skills attention to detail and multitasking.
Preferred Qualifications Minimum Qualifications for the role
- Project management experience.
Location: Santa Barbara California 93101
Posted: December 13 2022
Applications to be Reviewed Starting: January 3 2023
Start Date: January 30 2023
Company Name for Job: Librarian
Position Title: Librarian
Library or Company Type: Museum
Job Category: Cataloging/Metadata
Entry Level: No
Workplace Type: On-Site
Job Type: Part-Time
Job Duration: Six-months
Min Education: Master’s Degree
Min Experience: 3-5 Years
Required Travel: None
Job Type: Temporary
Pay: $29.50 per hour
Mask required if not fully vaccinated
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Santa Barbara CA 93101: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
Work Location: One location