Job Responsibilities : LIBRARY ASSISTANT III
Salary : n
Company : County of Monterey, CA
Location : Marina, CA 93933 US
Click Here : Apply Now
Monterey County Free Libraries (MCFL) is a public library system whose mission is to bring ideas inspiration information and enjoyment to the community. Monterey County Free Libraries operates seventeen branch libraries three bookmobiles a library-by-mail program deposit collections in local schools and several special programs including a literacy program which operates a literacy outreach vehicle focused on family literacy and kindergarten readiness. Free library services are provided to all residents of Monterey County. Additional or enhanced services are provided through funding from the Foundation for the Monterey County Free Libraries. These enhanced services include adult literacy tutoring after school homework assistance enhanced library book and material purchasing technology services for public use and public access to internet and youth services program support for library staff training and for direct public service.
This is the advanced journey level class in the Library Assistant series. Employees in this class perform a full range of duties possess technical or functional expertise and perform specialized duties in a highly independent manner. Incumbents in this class exercise direct supervision over subordinate paraprofessional and library support staff.
We currently have vacancies at the King City Seaside and Buena Vista Branches.
The Eligible List established by this recruitment process may be used to fill current and future vacancies on a regular full-time part-time or temporary basis County-wide.
Paramount Job Duties
Supervises trains assigns and schedules tasks oversees workflow and evaluates the performance of subordinate paraprofessional and/or library support staff in the performance of paraprofessional library work; Answers patrons’ reference question referring difficult questions to other staff or to the system reference unit supervise library volunteers youth employment program participants etc.
Assists the public in selection of library materials using the automated library catalog and other means; assists in the physical location of materials in the branch or in securing the materials through system hold or inter-library loan
Explains library policies and services to the public
May function as branch manager or branch assistant manager
Plans & conducts library programs and class and school visits
Answers patrons’ reference question referring difficult questions to other staff or to the system reference unit
May represent the County Library before community or library support groups
THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE
Will have a proven track record demonstrating the following knowledge skills and abilities:
Thorough Knowledge of:
- Public libraries including general purposes routines procedures and services
- Books and other library materials including basic reference Sources
- Library arrangement systems especially Dewey Decimal filing system
- Library technology and computer applications for libraries
- General principles and practices of library science
- Standard supervisory theory and practice
- General library reference service including methods of neutral questioning for conducting effective reference interviews
- Quality customer service and the facilitation of that service
Skill and Ability to:
- Select train schedule supervise and evaluate the work of subordinate library paraprofessional and library support staff and library volunteers and other non-funded library workers
- Carryout policies and operating procedures within County Library guidelines and interpret those policies and procedures for other staff and volunteers and for members of the public
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees and promote and deliver quality public library service to customers
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing
Any combination of training education and/or experience which provides for the knowledge skills and abilities required to perform the duties listed above is qualifying. An example of a way these requirements might be acquired is:
Approximately two years’ experience performing duties equivalent to those of a Library Assistant II for the County Library
Completion of courses required for a bachelor’s degree with emphasis in library science liberal arts or related field or completion of courses required for an associate’s degree with emphasis in library science liberal arts or related field and completion of post-degree college-level courses in library science.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
The required conditions of employment include but are not limited to the following:
- Possess and maintain a valid California Class C driver’s license or the ability to provide suitable transportation that is approved by the appointing authority.
- Be available to work a flexible schedule including evenings weekends holidays and during times of disaster and/or emergency.
- Successfully complete a background check to include fingerprinting.
On July 30 2021 the County of Monterey Board of Supervisors took action to mandate COVID-19 vaccination for all employees to include new hires. The vaccination requirement is in accordance with Section 25 of the County of Monterey Emergency Response Manual and COVID-19 Prevention Program Link. Applicants who accept employment with the County of Monterey will be required to be fully vaccinated. However individuals may request medical or religious exemptions and will be required to complete the appropriate request and certification forms for review and approval no later than their start date. Medical /Religion.
Application and Selection Procedures
The selection process is tentative and applicants will be notified if changes are made. To assess applicants’ possession of required qualifications the examination process may include an oral examination pre-examination exercises performance examination and/or written examination. The competitive examination process includes submittal of required application materials. A complete application package will include:
- A completed County of Monterey Employment Application
- Responses to the Supplemental Questions
Resumes cover letters letters of interest and other correspondence will not be accepted as a substitute for required application materials. All required application materials will be competitively evaluated. Those applicants that are determined to be the most appropriately qualified will be invited to participate further in the selection process.