Job Responsibilities : Principal Data Engineer (Remote Option*)
Salary : $240000 per year
Company : Nike
Location : Remote US
Become a Part of the NIKE Inc. Team
NIKE Inc. does more than outfit the world’s best athletes. It is a place to explore potential obliterate boundaries and push out the edges of what can be. The company looks for people who can grow think dream and create. Its culture thrives by embracing diversity and rewarding imagination. The brand seeks achievers leaders and visionaries. At NIKE Inc. it’s about each person bringing skills and passion to a challenging and constantly evolving game.
NIKE is a technology company. From our flagship website and five-star mobile apps to developing products managing big data and providing leading edge engineering and systems support our teams at NIKE Global Technology exist to revolutionize the future at the confluence of tech and sport. We invest and develop advances in technology and employ the most creative people in the world and then give them the support to constantly innovate iterate and serve consumers more directly and personally. Our teams are innovative diverse multidisciplinary and collaborative taking technology into the future and bringing the world with it.
The global Enterprise Data and Analytics (ED&A) team supports all global and geographic business activity across Nike’s major geographies and serves all business functions. This includes working closely with all functions across Nike including: Supplier Management Demand Planning Sales Planning Nike Direct Supply Chain Merchandising Pricing Marketing Customer Insight.
Who we are looking for
We are looking for a Principal Data Engineer to join our global ED&A team to work with our engineering squads to guide develop and deliver high quality solutions that solve specific business problems and grow Nike’s digital retail and wholesale businesses. In your role you will provide cross-domain data engineering expertise that empowers and accelerates Nike’s digital transformation.
You will join an extended team of fellow engineers that nurture an engineering culture with its roots in diversity inclusion and equality. As a team we embrace a DevOps culture and have a can-do mentality. We own the products we build and support. The candidate will have a depth of knowledge and experience in software engineering with a focus on data and data engineering paradigms. The role will provide the opportunity to identify solutions and solve complex business and technical problems that impact multiple squads.
What you will work on
If this is you you will be working on technical solutions that serve other engineering data or business facing teams. Our technical solutions serve the end-to-end breadth of Nike from building foundational data capabilities creating analytical products to help the Nike business make better decisions to optimizing our supply chain enabling our business to run as efficiently as possible.
Working across multiple squads you will provide expert-level guidance on the most complex coding configuration and implementation efforts. You will lead development activities by example by active contribution of code to either help deliver solutions or by providing proof of concepts on frameworks and tools to accelerate delivery.
We build our products to run reliable and at scale quality is built into our solutions up front with a testing and quality mentality being a key attribute of our team. You will be asked to provide support by writing documentation and tutorials as well as providing guidance to users with a variety of technical skills.
Who you will work with
As a Principal Engineer you will be tasked with working closely with multiple engineering squads across a business-aligned domain in order to solve a wide range of business and technology related problems.
Working with Architecture you will help define the technical design and implementation roadmap across multiple solutions and will work with engineering leadership to ensure that we resource and equip our squads with the right expertise to deliver those solutions.
Your partners will include Scrum teams Engineering and Architecture as well as Product and Business leadership.
Through our communities of practice you will interact with engineers from multiple other squads and will play a key role in elevating Nike’s engineering culture standards and best practices advocating for engineering excellence and innovation. You will be reporting into the Senior Engineering Director who will guide you to grow and build your career path.
- Bachelor/Master degree in related field or equivalent combination of education and experience
- 8 years’ experience building complex data and/or software engineering solutions
- Strong understanding of data structures algorithms solution and technical design
- Demonstrated ability to solve complex data engineering problems; end to end problem resolution and continuous improvement mindset.
- In-depth knowledge and experience with Data Engineering essentials such as scripting languages source control workflow scheduling relational and non-relational SQL and development of complex data solutions
- Expert knowledge and experience with a diversity of tools and platforms. Experience with micro service and full stack architecture; strong knowledge of SOA principles
- Shown ability to rapidly learn new technologies developing and implementing proof of concepts. Experience developing terabyte and petabyte solutions
- Able to quickly pick up new programming languages technologies and frameworks
- A strong knowledge and demonstrated ability to build scalable cloud solutions (real-time; high-performance data lake) Containerization CI/CD and DevOps
- Able to function as an experienced advisor inspiring leader as well as facilitate and influence on engineering decisions within tactical and strategic instances
- Able to influence and communicate effectively both verbally and written technical and functional vision with team members and business partners
- The skills and desire to work and cooperate with colleagues all around the world
- Remote Work Option – Open to remote work except cannot work in South Dakota Vermont and West Virginia. These candidates will be required to relocate.
For employees based in Colorado this position has an annual base salary range of $145000 – $240000.
For employees based in NYC and Westchester County NY this position has an annual base salary range of $172500 – $285000.
Information about benefits
NIKE Inc. is a growth company that looks for team members to grow with it. Nike offers a generous total rewards package casual work environment a diverse and inclusive culture and an electric atmosphere for professional development. No matter the location or the role every Nike employee shares one galvanizing mission: To bring inspiration and innovation to every athlete* in the world.
NIKE Inc. is committed to employing a diverse workforce. Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race color religion sex national origin age sexual orientation gender identity gender expression veteran status or disability.