Job Responsibilities : Corrections Counselor I
Salary : n
Company : The State of Kansas
Location : 1607 State St, Ellsworth, KS 67439 US
Educational requirements : High School
Click Here : Apply Now
Important Recruitment Information for this vacancy
Job Posting closes: 12/24/2022
Required documents uploaded by: Monday 12/26/2022
Agency Information: Ellsworth Correctional Facility P.O. Box 107 Ellsworth KS 67439-0107
About the Position
- Who can apply: External
- Classified/Unclassified Service: Classified
- Full/Part-time: Full-Time
- Regular/Temporary: Regular
- Work Schedule: Monday-Friday 7:30a.m.-4:00p.m.
- Eligible to Receive Benefits: Yes
- Veterans’ Preference Eligible: Yes
- Annual Salary: $43950.40
- Hourly Pay: $21.13
- Salary can vary depending upon education experience or qualifications.
Comprehensive medical mental dental vision and additional coverage
Sick & Vacation leave
Work-Life Balance programs: parental leave military leave jury leave funeral leave
Paid State Holidays (designated by the Governor annually)
Fitness Centers in select locations
Employee discounts with the STAR Program
Retirement and deferred compensation programs
Visit the Employee Benefits page for more information…
Position Summary & Responsibilities
This position is responsible for performing all duties through a team approach to risk management that addresses criminogenic indicators and needs. The team approach involves evaluating risk factors in order to make decisions regarding facility/cell or work assignments referrals to services and the level/type of supervision and to develop comprehensive release plans for offenders who are within one year of release. The work of this position requires ongoing proactive communication and interaction with offenders that is designed to apply cognitive programming to disrupt rather than reinforce antisocial behavior and inappropriate reactions to situations.
Job Responsibilities may include but are not limited to the following:
- .Manage a caseload of assigned residents
- Assist with adjustment to incarceration program completion rule compliance release planning and reintegration into the community.
- Maintain knowledge of evidence-based practices in corrections.
- Utilize and demonstrate proficiency in risk reduction skills including motivational interviewing and cognitive strategies.
- Maintain electronic resident files with timely and accurate documentation.
- Contribute to the cohesiveness of the Unit Team Department and the facility as a whole.
- A bachelor’s degree with major coursework in criminal justice the social sciences or the behavioral sciences. Experience may be substituted for the required education as determined relevant by the agency.
- Agency Approved Substitutions:
- Completion of 60 semester hours of coursework from an accredited college or university including 12 hours in corrections criminal justice the social sciences or the behavioral sciences and one (1) year of experience in the field of adult/juvenile corrections or case management in social services; or
- Completion of 30 semester hours of coursework from an accredited college or university including six (6) hours in corrections criminal justice the social sciences or the behavioral sciences and two (2) years of experience in the field of adult/juvenile corrections or case management in social services; or
- High school diploma or GED and three (3) years of experience in the field of adult or juvenile corrections or case management in social services.
- Agency Approved Substitutions:
Licensing & Certification
- Valid Kansas Driver’s License
- Two years of experience working in adult corrections in addition to the Minimum Requirement or Agency Approved Substitutions.
Post-Offer Pre-employment Requirements
- Pass a criminal history background check.
Recruiter Contact Information
- Name: Kimberly Seitz
- Email: Kimberly.Seitz@ks.gov
- Phone: 785-472-6295
- Mailing Address: P.O. Box 107 1607 State Street Ellsworth KS 67439-0107
Job Application Process
First Sign in or register as a New User.
Complete or update your contact information on the Careers> My Contact Information page. *This information is included on all your job applications.
Upload required documents listed below for the Careers> My Job Applications page. *This information is included on all your job applications.
Start your draft job application upload other required documents and Submit when it is complete.
Manage your draft and submitted applications on the Careers> My Job Applications page.
Check your email and My Job Notifications for written communications from the Recruiter.
Email – sent to the Preferred email on the My Contact Information page
Notifications – view the Careers> My Job Notifications page
Helpful Resources at jobs.ks.gov: “How to Apply for a Job – Instructions” and “How to Search for a Job – Instructions
Required Documents for this Application to be Complete
Upload these on the Careers – My Job Applications page
DD214 (if you are claiming Veteran’s Preference)
- Tax Clearance Certificate
Helpful Resources at jobs.ks.gov: “How What & Where do I Upload Documents” and “Save Tax Clearance Certificate as a PDF”
Kansas Tax Clearance Certificate Required: Each applicant (even non-residents) applying for a State of Kansas job vacancy must obtain a valid Kansas Certificate of Tax Clearance by accessing the Kansas Department of Revenue’s website. A Tax Clearance is a comprehensive tax account review to determine and ensure that an individual’s account is compliant with all primary Kansas Tax Laws. A Tax Clearance expires every 90 days. All applicants including current state employees are responsible for submitting a valid certificate with all other application materials to the hiring agency. This is in accordance with Executive Order 2004-03. If you need assistance with the tax clearance please contact 785.472.6295.
Visit the Tax Clearance site for more information on and where to obtain this Kansas Department of Revenue document.
How to Claim Veterans Preference
Veterans’ Preference Eligible (VPE): Former military personnel or their spouse that have been verified as a veteran; under K.S.A. 73-201 will receive an interview if they meet the minimum competency factors of the position. The veterans’ preference laws do not guarantee the veteran a job. Positions are filled with the best qualified candidate as determine by the hiring manager.
Learn more about claiming Veteran’s Preference
Equal Employment Opportunity
The State of Kansas is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value diversity equity and inclusion as essential elements that create and foster a welcoming workplace. All qualified persons will be considered for employment without regard to race color religion sex sexual orientation gender identity national origin age political affiliation disability or any other factor unrelated to the essential functions of the job.
If you wish to identify yourself as a qualified person with a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act and would like to request an accommodation please address the request to the agency recruiter.