Job Responsibilities : Student Engagement Advocate
Salary : n
Company : Palmdale School District
Location : 37230 37th St E, Palmdale, CA 93550 US
This position will be referred to multiple schools to consult with principals attendance office workers site parent/community liaisons teachers and other staff members concerning student attendance referrals; review student records to identify irregular attendance patterns or chronic absenteeism; trace students’ change of address or school.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED:
- Assist parents and students in resolving school attendance-related problems.
- Understand and follow oral and written directions.
- Work cooperatively with others.
- Communicate effectively with others.
- Work independently with little direction.
- Maintain records and prepare reports.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
- Work calmly and effectively in adverse situations.
- Work effectively in a multi-ethnic setting.
- Analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action.
- Meet schedules and time lines.
- Work confidentially with discretion.
- Read interpret and follow rules regulations policies and procedures.
- School attendance policies and procedures.
- Community resources.
- Modern office practices procedures and equipment.
- Interpersonal skills using tact patience and courtesy.
- District organization operations policies and objectives.
- Telephone techniques and etiquette.
- Record keeping techniques.
- Oral and written communication skills.
Click HERE for complete job description.
- Associate of Arts degree in sociology psychology social work criminal justice or related field is required.
- Bachelor’s degree in sociology psychology social work criminal justice or related field is preferred.
- Possession of an appropriate valid driver’s license.
- Possession of an appropriate valid California driver’s license prior to the completion of the probationary period.
- Ability to be covered under the District property/liability insurance.
- Possession of automobile in good working order.
Official college transcripts showing degree awarded
must be attached to the application when submitted. Internet obtained transcripts such as from a student portal or a diploma alone will not suffice.
Applications for this position will be accepted online only during the specified recruitment period. Applicants will receive notifications electronically by email only. An eligibility list will be established to fill future vacancies.
Testing procedures may consist of a written multiple-choice examination performance and oral exam. Applicants meeting the minimum qualifications will be required to take the exam and notified via email communication of the scheduled date time and location. A valid picture identification is required prior to admittance.
This position typically works full-time eight hours/day forty hours/week and observes an 11-month calendar dependent on the needs of the District.
Salary and Benefits:
The salary rate for a new employee is at the first step of the appropriate salary schedule for the position. The probationary period is 130 work days (not counting sick industrial accident). Upon becoming permanent a one-step salary advance shall be granted with future annual advances up to the fifth step of the salary schedule.
The District provides and contributes to a comprehensive benefits package (medical dental vision term life insurance) per contract year for each employee and eligible dependents. View the benefit matrix.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
This job is generally performed in an indoor office environment and outdoors during visits to schools homes and other various locations. Some sitting standing walking pushing and/or pulling lifting reaching bending stooping squatting twisting at waist. Vision and hearing in normal range with or without correction to hear and respond to conversation and reading printed materials and computer screens. Exposure to temperature swings in climate-controlled and/or outdoor environments; various noises from office equipment/machines employees students and the public; automobile/bus exhaust; sanitizing and cleaning agents.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
In accordance with Federal civil rights law civil rights regulations and policies the Palmdale School District its offices and employees are prohibited from discriminating based on age ancestry color disability ethnicity gender gender expression gender identity immigration status marital status nationality parental status pregnancy race religion sex sexual orientation political beliefs or association with a person or a group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity.
For further information regarding Palmdale School District’s non-discrimination sexual harassment and Title IX policies and/or Coordinator contact information please click the following link: https://www.palmdalesd.org/domain/2092
For further information regarding Palmdale School District’s Personnel Sexual Harassment Board Policy BP 4119.11 please click the following link: https://www.palmdalesd.org/cms/lib/CA02000054/Centricity/Domain/54/PSD%20Sexual%20Harrassment%2005242021.pdf (Download PDF reader)