Job Responsibilities : Transportation Worker
Salary : n
Company : Hillsborough County, Florida
Location : Plant City, FL US
Click Here : Apply Now
Performs work to construct maintain and repair roads road shoulders county owned rights-of-way easements bridges storm water drainage systems and other related county assets using various types of power and hand tools light to heavy construction equipment and light to heavy vehicles to provide a safe environment for vehicle and pedestrian traffic.
Salary: CAD-AFSCME Broadband T1 Starting at $33217.60 yearly
- Customer Commitment – Proactively seeks to understand the needs of the customers and provide the highest standards of service.
- Dedication to Professionalism and Integrity – Demonstrates and promotes fair honest professional and ethical behaviors that establishes trust throughout the organization and with the public we serve.
- Organizational Excellence – Takes ownership for excellence through one’s personal effectiveness and dedication to the continuous improvement of our operations.
- Success through Teamwork – Collaborates and builds partnerships through trust and the open exchange of diverse ideas and perspectives to achieve organizational goals.
Duties and Responsibilities
Note: The following duties are illustrative and not exhaustive. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar related or a logical assignment to the position. Depending on assigned area of responsibility incumbents in the position may perform one or more of the activities described below:
- Assists with the construction maintenance and repair of roads road shoulders county owned rights-of-way easements bridges storm water drainage systems and other related county assets in accordance with Florida Department of Transportation standards American Public Works Association best management practices county guidelines and other state and federal regulations and guidelines.
- Mows grassy areas along roadways easements rights-of-way and in medians to include removing debris in accordance with standard operating procedures to maintain a safe and efficient environment for vehicle and pedestrian traffic.
- Cuts brush weeds and assists in trimming low hanging tree limbs or removing trees along roadways and in county owned rights-of-way to include root pruning stump removal and brush chipping to maintain safe clearance standards provide safe recovery zones and remove line of sight obstructions.
- Performs semi-skilled routine work assignments under the direction of a lead worker associated with: patching road surfaces; stabilizing road shoulders; resurfacing segments of roads; repairing or installing fences and guardrails; repairing and maintaining bridges; cleaning and reshaping drainage ditches; installing or replacing drain pipes; constructing segments of roads; repairing and maintaining storm water drainage systems including pipe slip-liner installation and end wall inlet and manhole repair; and maintaining other related transportation assets to maintain them in a good and safe operational condition.
- Operates light automotive vehicles and construction equipment such as flatbed trucks walk behind road-rollers vans special designed vehicle servicing trucks power lift equipment and pickup trucks to construct maintain and repair roads bridges and other related county assets.
- Operates small motorized equipment such as lawn mowers chain saws edger trimmers weed eaters air compressors jack hammers mixers pumping equipment and other similar equipment; and uses various hand tools to construct maintain and repair roads bridges and other related county assets.
- Performs basic masonry block and concrete work on bridges roads sidewalks curbs gutters and other related assets to construct or restore them to specified service levels.
- Cleans and performs operator inspection servicing preventative maintenance and simple repairs to equipment used and ensures that periodic maintenance and major repairs are identified and scheduled to ensure proper operation and prolong service life.
- Performs daily safety inspections and observes proper safety practices and regulations when operating or working around equipment.
- Sets flags barricades and other traffic control devices and controls the flow of traffic through and around work sites to provide a safe environment for workers and the public under the direction of a more senior person.
- May be required to provide operational support during periods of local state and national emergencies due to man-made and natural disasters.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Knowledge of the operation use and safety practices of automotive vehicles and farm equipment to include flatbed trucks vans pickup trucks edger lawn mowers cement mixers compressors and other similar equipment.
- Knowledge of traffic laws regulations and safety practices applicable to the operation of motorized vehicles on public streets and highways.
- Knowledge of procedures and techniques used to perform semi-skilled routine construction maintenance and repair work of roads bridges storm water drainage systems and other related assets.
- Knowledge of Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices Chapter 6; for safe work zones.
- Skill in the use of various tools and equipment used to construct maintain and repair roads bridges storm water drainage systems and other related assets.
- Ability to service and make minor repairs and adjustments to vehicles and equipment operated.
- Ability to closely follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to work effectively with others.
- Ability to read and understand job related material.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to safely operate motorized vehicles and light construction equipment.
- Lift and carry a minimum of five (5) pounds and greater with an average of forty-five (45) pounds with occasional lifting to approximately ninety (90) pounds over uneven rough terrain.
- Perform tasks that require eye and hand coordination.
- Bend climb stoop kneel or crouch at ground levels and to stand for long periods of time.
- Work outside in a subtropical climate under adverse weather and working conditions (i.e.: sun rain cold swamp ditches dirt and hot asphalt) and high noise levels.
- Medium Work – Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
Minimum Qualifications Required
- Completion of the tenth grade; AND
- Possession of a valid Florida Driver’s License.
Special Probationary Note
In order to complete initial probation successfully employees in this classification are required to obtain the following certifications;
- Basic Maintenance of Traffic (MOT); AND
- First Aid and Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR); AND
- Certified proficient in the following construction/ transportation equipment based on location of work :
- ALL LOCATIONS: Chainsaw Pole Saw Stump Grinder Woodchipper Concrete Cutter and Street Saw.
- COUNTYWIDE: Same as “all locations” above and Sweeper/Trailer Broom.
- MAINTENANCE UNITS: Same as “all locations” above and Z-Turn Mower.
( DISCLAIMER: This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all skills and proficiencies associated with the Tier-1. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job management reserves the right to revise the list based on assignments changing needs and technologies.)
Emergency Management Responsibilities
In the event of an emergency or disaster an employee may be required to respond promptly to duties and responsibilities as assigned by the employee’s department the County’s Office of Emergency Management or County Administration. Such assignments may be for before during or after the emergency/disaster.
Employees in this broadband classification that acquire the competencies and minimum qualifications for the next tier will automatically advance to the new tier upon submission of appropriate documentation of qualifications. Additionally e mployees in tier 1 trainee positions will be required to complete their initial probationary period successfully in order to advance to the next tier.