Job Responsibilities : IRL- Pharmacy Technician, Trainee
Salary : $65000 Per Year
Company : The University of Iowa
Location : Iowa City, IA US
Educational requirements : High School
The Iowa River Landing Pharmacy is seeking a 100% Pharmacy Technician Trainee. Under general supervision performs activities associated with drug distribution and control for outpatient and clinic patient dispensing. Provides functional supervision as required.
- Under pharmacist supervision prepares patient specific and batch sterile products including hazardous medications.
- Using appropriate PPE including CSTD as appropriate
- Preparation according to NIOSH USP and SOP guidelines
- Performs daily cleanroom maintenance activities including:
- Cleaning of hood in accordance with SOP
- Decontamination of hood as required
- Review and documentation of hood maintenance activities
- Provide patient/customer service at Triage. Communicate with the general public patients and other health care personnel in accordance with established guidelines. Receive and screen prescriptions for completeness and check for prescription readiness.
- Conduct interview with patient or patient’s representative to collect and record patient profile information including: demographic information third party coverage information weight of pediatric patients medication allergy information medical conditions and current list medications being taken other than those presented.
- Determine waiting/pick-up time.
- Triage prescription to appropriate team. Recognize workflow patterns for effective triage of prescriptions.
- Answer telephone lines and triage phone calls per established policies and procedures.
- Order entry of prescriptions
- Enter patient profile information.
- Enter patient coverage/third party information.
- Read and interpret the prescription including calculation of dose and or quantity to be dispensed and enter into the computer.
- Generate a “Note to Dispensing Pharmacist” as needed.
- Fill/refill prescriptions
- Read label for accuracy and correct as needed.
- Label and package the correct medication.
- Answer the dedicated prescription refill telephone line.
- Generate prescription refill label.
- Verify address for prescription(s) to be mailed and the date medication is needed.
- Fill out call check and note pickup time or date to be mailed.
- Prepare prescriptions for mailing and shipping according to established policies and procedures.
- Perform inventory maintenance activities.
- Return to stock medications that have not been picked up by patients.
- Perform daily and monthly drug inventories and audits as requested
- Generate and/or maintain (includes filing) appropriate records related to prescription dispensing such as hard copies of prescriptions mailing/shipping forms/logs and prescription quality assurance audits.
- Perform activities involving narcotics and controlled substances including:
- Conduct weekly and monthly inventories
- Audit records associated with dispensing of narcotics and controlled substances
- Resolve discrepancies on issuance forms
- Conduct assigned audits in patient care clinic areas (Certified Technicians Only)
- Audit area for compliance with medication security segregation of dosage forms expiration dates Emergency Medication Tray expiration date appropriate drug storage and references.
- Maintain area orderliness and cleanliness.
- Assist in on the job training of new technicians.
- Coordinate technical activities with other members of team.
- Perform other tasks as needed/assigned.
For a full job description please send an e-mail to the contact listed below.
Percent of Time: 100%
Schedule: 40 hours/week will be accomplished between the hours of 7:00am – 8:00pm.
Location: Iowa River Landing
Rotations: Saturday coverage rotation of 8:30am – 12:30pm.
Merit Pay Grade: 8
Merit Play Plan: https://hr.uiowa.edu/pay/pay-plans/merit-alpha-matrix
Regular salaried position located in Iowa City Iowa
Fringe benefit package including paid vacation; sick leave; health dental life and disability insurance options; and generous employer contributions into retirement plans. For more information click here.
University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics—recognized as one of the best hospitals in the United States—is Iowa’s only comprehensive academic medical center and a regional referral center. Each day more than 12000 employees students and volunteers work together to provide safe quality health care and excellent service for our patients. Simply stated our mission is: Changing Medicine. Changing Lives.®
University of Iowa Health Care–Iowa River Landing offers the world-class academic-level medicine you expect from UI Hospitals and Clinics in a convenient medical office building that makes visiting the doctor a pleasant experience. Our pledge at UI Health Care–Iowa River Landing is that our patients will receive the best possible care in a friendly compassionate efficient way.
For more information about Why Iowa? click here.
Minimum Eligibility Requirements:
- Registered with the Pharmacy Board at the time of hire.
- All pharmacy technicians must be certified within one year of employment.
- High school diploma or the equivalent.
- Any combination of two years of post-high school experience and/or education in the natural sciences OR
- Satisfactory completion of an accredited pharmacy technician training program.
- Ability to perform ratio/proportion equations
- Experience in a retail pharmacy setting
- Previous healthcare experience preferred
- Experience with inventory maintenance activities
- Experience working in a team environment
- Experience working in healthcare with one-on-one patient interaction
- Prefer National Career Readiness Certificate at Silver Level
The department intends to hire for one position from either Pharmacy Technician Trainee requisition #22006250 or Pharmacy Technician Certified requisition #22005667 based on the qualifications of the successful candidate. Pleas apply to the specific position for which you wish to be considered or both.
In order to be considered for an interview applicants must complete the application entirely to show that they clearly meet the listed required and desired qualifications of this position. Submitting a Resume and marking it as a “Relevant File” under the submissions is desired.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of 10 calendar days and may be removed from posting and filled any time after the original posting period has ended.
Successful candidates will be subject to a criminal background check and credential/education verification. Up to 5 professional references will be requested at a later step in the recruitment process. If applicable internal references will be conducted with approval from the candidate.
For additional questions please contact Anne Phillips at email@example.com